We all want to keep our family safe. Taking certain precautions in your home can help. One simple, important way to protect your family at home is with carbon monoxide and smoke detectors.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors & Maintenance
Carbon monoxide is a gas that has no color and no odor, making it virtually impossible to detect with your own senses. It is potentially lethal and can cause a number of symptoms, such as chest pain, vomiting, or dizziness.
Carbon monoxide detectors have an alarm that sounds whenever they sense unsafe levels of carbon monoxide. There are a few kinds of detectors on the market, but in general, the alarm is set off when carbon monoxide causes a reaction in the chemicals the detectors contain.
There’s easy maintenance for carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are working properly. Simply test the detectors once a month by pushing the test button on the front of the unit. Replace the batteries as often as the manufacturer recommends and replace the detector every few years. Also, remember to keep them clean and free of dust.
Smoke Detectors & Maintenance
Smoke Detectors are another simple, but very important way to protect your family. Some smoke detectors can also detect carbon monoxide. It is important to have a both types of alarms in your home at all times, whether they are separate devices or a hybrid unit.
Smoke detectors set off an alarm when smoke causes a chemical reaction inside the device or heat rises to a very high level. Maintenance for smoke detectors is similar to the maintenance of carbon monoxide detectors, but be sure to check the manufacturer’s instructions for specifics. Generally, you should test them once a month and change them out every few years. Also, keep them free of dust.
What About False Alarms?
Sometimes, both detectors may give a false alarm. For example, smoke detectors can go off because of steam, which causes a similar reaction as smoke would inside the device. Carbon monoxide detectors may sound a false alarm if they are too close to appliances that use gas, like a stove.
Even though a detector may give a false alarm, always take any alarm seriously and take appropriate action until you can confirm the alarm was false and your home is safe. Since carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas, it is strongly advised to have a professional come out and verify that there is no leak in your home if your carbon monoxide detector sounds an alarm.